The ramblings about my food adventures while visiting establishments of deliciousness featured on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives. Come along for some food and fun (and lots of places that WEREN'T on the show)!

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Bess's Place


Location: Newborn, GA
Price: $


The name doesn't tell you what type of place this is but it holds a tasty surprise inside! The first time I had their BBQ I knew I had to go back and get some more. Yup! This is a family owned and run BBQ place and boy was it tasty! The restaurant is in an older log cabin style building along the "main" highway leading into this small Georgia town.

I had my first taste of Bess's BBQ at a birthday party for my best friend's little girl (yes, they do take-out). I thoroughly enjoyed it and decided I wanted to try some more. My mom and I drove the thirty minutes or so over to Newborn from my home and as soon as we pulled up we knew this was going to be right up our alley! It was busy but not crowded and full of locals which gave it such a wonderful feeling. The lunch menu looked smaller than the dinner menu but that just gives me more reasons to go back! There was a nice selection of meat and lots of veggies to chose from as sides (which made the two of us quite happy) and everything seemed reasonably priced. We both got BBQ sandwich plates as the BBQ was the reason we drove over. Mom ordered fried squash slices as one of her side items. Now, I am not a fan of squash so I was a bit leery of trying this little dish but I was pleasantly surprised. They were lightly breaded and I actually liked them! My son liked them, too. Now, on to the BBQ! The sandwiches did not come drenched in sauce so I was able to add as much as I liked (and I started out with just a little to make sure I could taste the meat). We both agreed that the meat was delicious, juicy, perfectly cooked, and full of flavor. I even ordered an extra sandwich to take home to my husband (after I took a picture of the food on my phone and sent it to him at work just to mean!). They do have more than just BBQ but it was so good that I don't know how I could not order it the next time we visit.

I am very picky about my BBQ so I rarely find a place that I'm eager to eat at more than once but this is certainly one I can't wait to visit again. I would recommend this any BBQ fan.


*Just as a note, they are no longer serving their BBQ and are focusing on other items from their menu, namely their pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment